-->

31 Brother Quotes

“[Marianne Moore] once remarked, after a visit to her brother and his family, that the state of being married and having children had one enormous advantage: "One never has to worry about whether one is doing the right thing or not. There isnt time. One is always having to go to the market or drive the children somewhere. There isnt time to wonder Is this right or isnt it?” ~Elizabeth Bishop
“In our family, there was no clear line between religion and fly fishing. We lived at the junction of great trout rivers in western Montana, and our father was a Presbyterian minister and a fly fisherman who tied his own flies and taught others. He told us about Christs disciples being fishermen, and we were left to assume, as my brother and I did, that all first-class fishermen on the Sea of Galilee were fly fishermen and that John, the favorite, was a dry-fly fisherman.” ~Norman Fitzroy Maclean
“Sister,” Yeong-hye said, her voice low and calm as if intending to comfort her. Yeong-hye’s old black sweater gave off the faint scent of mothballs. When In-hye didn’t answer, Yeong-hye whispered one more time. “Sister…all the trees of the world are like brothers and sisters.” ~Han Kang
“The sisters and brothers that you meet give you the materials which your character uses to build itself. It is said that some people are born great, others achieve it, some have it thrust upon them. In truth, the ways in which your character is built have to do with all three of those. Those around you, those you choose, and those who choose you.” ~Maya Angelou
“Yet even in the loneliness of the canyon I knew there were others like me who had brothers they did not understand but wanted to help. We are probably those referred to as "our brothers keepers," possessed of one of the oldest and possible one of the most futile and certainly one of the most haunting instincts. It will not let us go.” ~Norman Fitzroy Maclean
”Apparently, one in five people in the world are Chinese. And there are five people in my family, so it must be one of them. It’s either my mum or my dad. Or my older brother, Colin. Or my younger brother, Ho-Chan-Chu. But I think it’s Colin.” ~Elin Pelin
A bargain is in its very essence a hostile transaction ... do not all men try to abate the price of all they buy? I contend that a bargain even between brethren is a declaration of war. ~George Gordon Noel Byron
A brother may not be a friend, but a friend will always be a brother. ~Samuel Richardson
A dilettantism in nature is barren and unworthy. A fop of fields is no better than his brother on Broadway. ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
A stranger that is faraway can be more supportive than a brother that lives nearby. ~Patricia Grantham
All men are brothers and, all women are sisters; for, we were all created by the Creator with love.  ~Edward Kofi Louis
All my brothers, my brothers-in-law, they're always telling me what a good-hearted guy I am. You don't get to be good-hearted by accident. You get kicked around long enough, you get to be a real professor of pain. ~Paddy Chayefsky
Best masters for the young writer and speaker are the fault- finding brothers and sisters at home who will not spare him, but will pick and cavil, and tell the odious truth. ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
'BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU' is written on every parking ticket.' ~michael walker
Comes from a fine family. So she tells me. Brother's a priest, all that. But, you know, death, disaster, unfortunate investments. One day she's a little princess, up on the hill. Next, she's down there, working the bars for the best she can. ~Peter Prince
Difficulty, my brethren, is the nurse of greatness—a harsh nurse, who roughly rocks her foster-children into strength and athletic proportion. ~William Cullen Bryant
Do not focus too much on the east and forget the west. And do not ignore the south, to speak for the north. What happens in the east has effects in the north, as the west has in the south. And do not focus on one species and ignore the other. Or love your father but ignore your mother, or love your sister but ignore your brother. Do not forget each other. We are all part of each other. We are all ONE. ~Suzy Kassem
Even crushed against his brother in the Tube the average Englishman pretends desperately that he is alone. ~Germaine Greer
Everyone is very important in this life; so, don't hate your brother or your sister.  ~Edward Kofi Louis
Gloucester. I hope they will not come upon us now. King Henry. We are in God's hands, brother, not in theirs. ~William Shakespeare
Hatred and anger are twin brothers. ~Jonathan Karanja
Hypocrite reader—my fellow—my brother! ~Charles Baudelaire
I am none of those nonsensical fools that can whine and make romantic love—I leave that to younger brothers. Let my estate speak for me. ~Sarah Fielding
I don't look at a Christian by his theology. I look at him by how Christ has changed him from the inside out. I may not fully agree with his theology, but I will love him because he is my brother. ~Yehoshua Shim'onai
I think that Nature meant kindly when she made our brothers few. However, my voice is still for peace. ~Henry David Thoreau
I want my sex to claim nothing from their brethren but what their brethren may justly claim from them ... ~Sarah M Grimke
I went to my father's at night. He spoke of poor John [Boswell's brother] with disgust. I was shocked and said, "He's your son, and God made him." He answered very harshly, "If my sons are idiots, can I help it?" ~James Boswell
If thy brother wrongs thee, remember not so much his wrong-doing, but more than ever that he is thy brother. ~Epictetus
I'll kill you with my own hands rather than let you put the mark of Cain on my brother! ~Abraham Polonsky
In the democratic western countries so-called capitalism leads a saturnalia of "freedom," like a bastard brother of reform. ~Wyndham Lewis
'In the near future, if not now, we will have to look at the world as our common home and all its inhabitants as equal citizens of the world. Therefore we will have to treat each other as fellow citizens, as brothers and sisters, who have the same aspirations as human persons and the same responsibilities of taking care of each other regardless of country, race or creed. This is how we are going to survive, not as nations with distinct interests although maintaining cultural identities, but as a species on the planet with a common hope of building a better human world.' ~Philip Emmanuel Penaflor

Click to comment