-->

300+ Best Sympathy Quotes

Best Sympathy Quotes

Best Sympathy Quotes

Actors who are lovers in real life are often incapable if playing the part of lovers to an audience. It is equally true that sympathy between actors who are not lovers may create a temporary emotion that is perfectly sincere. Ivor Novello

And whoever walks a furlong without sympathy walks to his own funeral drest in his shroud. Walt Whitman

At a family's most difficult time, I want to make sure at a minimum that they have the very basic of comforts: the ability to grieve their loss privately and the knowledge that their country is grateful for their loved one's sacrifice and service. Dave Reichert

It is the right of our people to organize to oppose any law and any part of the Constitution with which they are not in sympathy. Al Smith

To avoid becoming chronically unemployed, people need more than platitudes offering sympathy. Career reinvention requires encouragement and guidance. Nina Easton

With a film, you just don't have time to build sympathy for the character. But I think we're moving away from that in TV. With TV, you have a little more leeway to allow them to rise and fall and rise again and be much more complicated beings. Rachel McAdams

The irony is that I'm actually a very empathetic person, but I don't believe in sympathy at all. Jillian Michaels

I want the municipality to be a helping hand to the man with a desire of sympathy, to help the fallen when it is not in their power to help themselves. John Burns

I very much dislike the intolerance and moralism of many Christians, and feel more sympathy with Honest Doubters than with them. A. N. Wilson

Ultimately, we'll help the people we discriminate against if we try to understand more about them; genetics will lead to a world where there is a sympathy for the underdog. James D. Watson

People who drink to drown their sorrow should be told that sorrow knows how to swim. Ann Landers

Grief is a normal and natural response to loss. It is originally an unlearned feeling process. Keeping grief inside increases your pain. Anne Grant

Great grief does not of itself put an end to itself. Lucius Annaeus Seneca

It's not very interesting to establish sympathy for people who, on the surface, are instantly sympathetic. I guess I'm always attracted to people who, if their lives were headlines in a newspaper, you might not be very sympathetic about them. John Irving

Queen Paola and I will never forget the ties that have grown between the people and us during the course of the years. Thank you for your confidence, tokens of sympathy and support, sometimes even with a little criticism. We always loved you. Albert II of Belgium

Badges mean nothing in themselves, but they mark a certain achievement and they are a link between the rich and the poor. For when one girl sees a badge on a sister Scout's arm, if that girl has won the same badge, it at once awakens an interest and sympathy between them. Juliette Gordon Low

The truth is that at the White House and in Congress, you are as likely to find sympathy for animal issues among Republicans as among Democrats. Matthew Scully

NFL fans have less sympathy for fallen players than the Romans had for blind Christians. Stephen Rodrick

I think loss of loved ones is the hardest blow in life. Marlo Thomas

I have sympathy for young people, for their growing pains, but I balk when these growing pains are pushed into the foreground, when you make these young people the only vehicles of life's wisdom. Wislawa Szymborska

When you are sorrowful look again in your heart, and you shall see that in truth you are weeping for that which has been your delight. Khalil Gibran

I didn't go to university. Didn't even finish A-levels. But I have sympathy for those who did. Terry Pratchett

When our bodies are sick and people extend their sympathy, bring us soup, offer up solutions. When our minds are sick, people tend to shy away from you, be afraid, or call you outright crazy. I'm fascinated by the way society and individuals view mental illness, and most of my shorts comment on that. Anna Akana

It is only after one is in trouble that one realizes how little sympathy and kindness there are in the world. Nellie Bly

Pity may represent little more than the impersonal concern which prompts the mailing of a check, but true sympathy is the personal concern which demands the giving of one's soul. Martin Luther King, Jr.

I am a believer in the evolutionary process, and yet I have sympathy for the friends of mine who are creationists. I don't find the positions incompatible. John Rhys-Davies

I don't care about sympathy. I care about playing a character who's understandable and clear. Anson Mount

I would rather be kept alive in the efficient if cold altruism of a large hospital than expire in a gush of warm sympathy in a small one. Aneurin Bevan

I have no sympathy for debunking human achievements that, in the end, gave ordinary people liberty. Paul Craig Roberts

Marriage must be a relation either of sympathy or of conquest. George Eliot

I have to have a character worth caring about. I tend not to start writing books about people I don't have a lot of sympathy for because I'm just going to be with them too long. Richard Russo

Personally, I have detested Gordon Brown since the moment in 2001 when he tried to make cheap capital out of the Laura Spence affair; as his troubles have piled up, I have felt no sympathy for him at all. Justin Cartwright

That though the radiance which was once so bright be now forever taken from my sight. Though nothing can bring back the hour of splendor in the grass, glory in the flower. We will grieve not, rather find strength in what remains behind. William Wordsworth

You are 27 or 28 right? It is very tough to live at that age. When nothing is sure. I have sympathy with you. Haruki Murakami

Sympathy is one of the principles most widely rooted in our nature: we rejoice to see ourselves reflected in another; and, perversely enough, we sometimes have a secret pleasure in seeing the sin which dwells in ourselves existing under a deformed and monstrous aspect in another. William Godwin

I feel sympathy for the working class lad. I've always championed about ticket prices and try to equate that to people's salaries. Alex Ferguson

What is lovely never dies, But passes into other loveliness. Thomas Bailey Aldrich

Sympathy with nature is part of a good person's religion. Francis Herbert Hedge

I'm constantly amazed by the ability a child has to show sympathy, to read emotions, to get to the heart of any situation. It's unfiltered and completely inspiring. David Duchovny

There should be a sympathy with freedom, a desire to give it scope, founded not upon visionary ideas, but upon the long experience of many generations within the shores of this happy isle, that in freedom you lay the firmest foundations both of loyalty and order. William E. Gladstone

I've always liked Saturn. But I also have some sympathy for Pluto because I heard it's been downgraded from a planet, and I think it should remain a planet. Once you've given something planetary status it's kind of mean to take it away. Jared Leto

Truly, it is in darkness that one finds the light, so when we are in sorrow, then this light is nearest of all to us. Meister Eckhart

Life has never been easy. Nor is it meant to be. It is a matter of being joyous in the face of sorrow. Dirk Benedict

According to your sympathy, you will take pleasure in your own happiness or in the happiness of other people; but it is always your own happiness you seek. John Buchanan Robinson

I'm not sympathetic. I have zero sympathy. I understand about emotional eating, I understand how painful the process can be, but I also understand that change is possible. Jillian Michaels

This circus that's advertised to show and furnish a little amusement for us heathens is owned by a woman, one whose pluck catches my sympathy every time. Wild Bill Hickok

Loss and possession, death and life are one, There falls no shadow where there shines no sun. Hilaire Belloc

I can hardly express in words my deep feeling and sympathy for them, knowing as I do, the many serious handicaps and obstacles that will confront them in almost every walk of life. Major Taylor

The cure for sorrow is to learn something. Barbara Sher

Grief is only the memory of widowed affections. James Martineau

It is in Rousseau's writing above all that history begins to turn from upper-class honour to middle-class humanitarianism. Pity, sympathy and compassion lie at the centre of his moral vision. Values associated with the feminine begin to infiltrate social existence as a whole, rather than being confined to the domestic sphere. Terry Eagleton

The humanitarian lays stress almost solely upon breadth of knowledge and sympathy. Irving Babbitt

There's a great tradition of actors taking on parts of much less obvious sympathy. Edward Zwick

As far as I'm concerned, I own my dogs as I own my body. My legs are with me when I take a shower, and I feel no shame. If I were to lose one, I'd grieve, and people would send sympathy cards, but it would be my condition that evoked the sympathy, not the fate of the leg. That's like losing a dog. Elizabeth Marshall Thomas

Women have no sympathy and my experience of women is almost as large as Europe. Florence Nightingale

To all those who have suffered as a consequence of our troubled past I extend my sincere thoughts and deep sympathy. With the benefit of historical hindsight we can all see things which we would wish had been done differently or not at all. Queen Elizabeth II

Bear and endure: This sorrow will one day prove to be for your good. Ovid

The mission of '8 Mile' is essentially to garner sympathy for a white rapper involved in an old-school shootout - a rap contest. This may be the final frontier for pop, more unbelievable than the prospect of launching a member of 'N Sync into orbit. Elvis Mitchell

My guitar was loud as hell, and I had no sympathy for anybody else. Brownie McGhee

The purpose of human life is to serve, and to show compassion and the will to help others. Albert Schweitzer

He bit his lip in a manner which immediately awakened my maternal sympathy, and I helped him bite it. S. J. Perelman

Sympathy is the first condition of criticism. Henri Frederic Amiel

Farewell, dearest friend, never to see one another any more till at the right hand of Christ. Donald Cargill

To the factory farmer, in contrast to the traditional farmer with his sense of honor and obligation, the animals are 'production units,' and accorded all the sympathy that term suggests. Matthew Scully

The relation of landlord and tenant is not an ideal one, but any relations in a social order will endure if there is infused into them some of that spirit of human sympathy which qualifies life for immortality. George William Russell

Staying married may have long-term benefits. You can elicit much more sympathy from friends over a bad marriage than you ever can from a good divorce. P. J. O'Rourke

There is a joy in sorrow which none but a mourner can know. Jean Paul

You don't go around grieving all the time, but the grief is still there and always will be. Nigella Lawson

Our sympathy is cold to the relation of distant misery. Edward Gibbon

We must not permit our respect for the dead or our sympathy for the living to lead us into an act of injustice to the balance of the living. Davy Crockett

There are two classes of women in Soviet Russia. There is the professional class, which has taken the place of the nobility and includes government officials, artists, doctors, composers and writers as well as former members of the old nobility whose sympathy is with the Soviets, and also the peasant class. Elsa Schiaparelli

It's hard to penetrate characters who are very cut off and lack empathy and to do it with sympathy. It's so easy to make a damaged character repugnant. Siri Hustvedt

If you're disabled, and you're trying to achieve your dreams, accept the fact right now that you have to work 500 times more than the average bear next to you. Stop bucking for sympathy, put on your titanium legs, and run. Maysoon Zayid

Extremist perspectives win sympathy and recruits because they offer narratives that claim to identify deep injustices and enemies. Jonas Gahr Store

Obviously, Jay-Z is one of the greatest entertainers of the world today. Not only is he a remarkable rhetorical genius, he's also a man of deep sympathy and empathy for those who are lost and vulnerable, but especially under-educated youth of all cultures and stripes. Michael Eric Dyson

We should feel sorrow, but not sink under its oppression. Confucius

What ye have been ye still shall be, When we are dust the dust among, O yellow flowers! Henry Austin Dobson

But what you could perhaps do with in these days is a word of most sincere sympathy. Your movement is carried internally by so strong a truth and necessity that victory in one form or another cannot elude you for long. Hjalmar Schacht

We were united not only by political respect for each other, but also by deep mutual sympathy as people. Helmut Kohl

Sorrow is so easy to express and yet so hard to tell. Joni Mitchell

In order that people who suffer from depression seek treatment without a second thought, the stigmas must further fall until we reach a point in time when that person with leukemia and that person with depression both receive the same level of sympathy and the same level of rigorous treatment. Both people deserve it. Gayle Forman

Not without hope we suffer and we mourn. William Wordsworth

Men are often biased in their judgment on account of their sympathy and their interests. George William Norris

Those who weep recover more quickly than those who smile. Jean Giraudoux

Criticism in the universities, I'll have to admit, has entered a phase where I am totally out of sympathy with 95% of what goes on. It's Stalinism without Stalin. Harold Bloom

Women are about the best lovers of nature, after all; at least of nature in her milder and more familiar forms. The feminine character, the feminine perceptions, intuitions, delicacy, sympathy, quickness, are more responsive to natural forms and influences than is the masculine mind. John Burroughs

Happiness is beneficial for the body, but it is grief that develops the powers of the mind. Marcel Proust

The man Dickens, whom the world at large thought it knew, stood for all the Victorian virtues - probity, kindness, hard work, sympathy for the down-trodden, the sanctity of domestic life - even as his novels exposed the violence, hypocrisy, greed, and cruelty of the Victorian age. Robert Gottlieb

Since this war began our sympathy has gone out to all the suffering people who have been dragged into it. Further hundreds of millions have become involved since I spoke at Limerick fortnight ago. Eamon de Valera

I have a lot of sympathy with the ideas and frustration of the Occupy movement. I absolutely agree with the sense that Wall Street has brought an economic calamity to the middle class and that no one has been held accountable. Susan Bysiewicz

In Shakespeare, unique individuals repudiate the stereotypes demanded by the structure of the play: Shylock commands our sympathy, Barnardine refuses to be hanged. Individuals trump the category. Iain McGilchrist

Increased sympathy for an Islamist cause, lack of integration, and the absence of acceptance of Muslims into British society makes it harder for Muslims to challenge Islamism and tough for non-Muslims to understand it. Maajid Nawaz

It is foolish to tear one's hair in grief, as though sorrow would be made less by baldness. Marcus Tullius Cicero

I'm not going to give a courtesy gift to a person who's going to win, and I'm not going to give a sympathy gift to a person who's going to lose. Tim Kaine

I'm a champion for personal differences. I have no sympathy for drug companies that can't figure out how to make personalized medicine. We could generalize that to 'All society should be much more personalized.' George M. Church

When you've been raised in care, rap music isn't just about guns and sexism. They're talking about real things you can hang on to, problems of identity that you have sympathy with. It's not just about the music, with rap: when I was in care, it meant a whole lot more than that. Samantha Morton

I tend to foster drama via bleakness. If I want the reader to feel sympathy for a character, I cleave the character in half, on his birthday. And then it starts raining. And he's made of sugar. George Saunders

If I'm feeling outraged, grief, disbelief, frustration, sympathy, that gets channeled through me and into my pictures and hopefully transmitted to the viewer. James Nachtwey

I feel like there's a lot of sympathy and camaraderie among documentary filmmakers. Morgan Neville

Any other illness, any other disease that we're faced with, there's sympathy and understanding. We get help for those. With mental illness, our go-to is to categorize them as, 'Oh, they're crazy,' to belittle the problem. Chris Wood

There is no greater sorrow than to recall happiness in times of misery. Dante Alighieri

I can't understand why someone wouldn't have a degree of sympathy for people that had to flee their country, travel to try and find their home somewhere, and nobody wants them. How could you not be a little bit sympathetic? Gary Lineker

I sometimes get that wonderful sympathy between me and the audience, telling me I've reached their hearts. And when I do, the thrill is mine. Kate Smith

A lot of actors find it impossible not to ask for the audience's sympathy. They have a need to twinkle. Julian Fellowes

The professional must learn to be moved and touched emotionally, yet at the same time stand back objectively: I've seen a lot of damage done by tea and sympathy. Anthony Storr

Motherhood is at its best when the tender chords of sympathy have been touched. Paul Harris

I have sympathy for the people in Syria, and I do think there should be a worldwide response, but we should act cautiously. Jeff Duncan

I take people very seriously. People are all I take seriously, in fact. Therefore, I have nothing but sympathy for how people behave - and nothing but laughter to console them with. John Irving

I have sympathy for anyone who finds consolation anywhere we can. And many people do find it in religious tradition as it has been. I mean, I love much of that tradition. But somehow, that just didn't speak to me in the way that it does to some. Elaine Pagels

My mother listened to all the news from the camp during the strike. She said little, especially when my father or the men who worked for him were about I remember her instinctive and unhesitating sympathy for the miners. Agnes Smedley

It's hard for me to think of others because I'm not particularly in sympathy with the music of this century. Alan Hovhaness

Although I'm Australian, I find myself much more in sympathy with the Austrian version! David Chalmers

In fiction, imaginary people become realer to us than any named celebrity glimpsed in a series of rumored events, whose causes and subtler ramifications must remain in the dark. An invented figure like Anna Karenina or Emma Bovary emerges fully into the light of understanding, which brings with it identification, sympathy and pity. John Updike

Poetry is partly sympathy, don't you think? If it's any good, it gets people to think about others' points of view. Edwin Morgan

It's important to find characters that share sympathy with a young audience, not just in the story but their role in the world. Tim Crouch

IT is mere coincidence that Cooper was born in the year which produced The Power of Sympathy and that when he died Uncle Tom's Cabin was passing through its serial stage, and yet the limits of his life mark almost exactly the first great period of American fiction. Carl Clinton Van Doren

I have a strong sympathy for all women who have struggled and suffered. Edmonia Lewis

In the eyes of the Catholic Church, abortion is a tragedy. Our principle objective must be to try and win greater sympathy for that perspective and for the value of human life from its beginnings. Vincent Nichols

It is by a wise economy of nature that those who suffer without change, and whom no one can help, become uninteresting. Yet so it may happen that those who need sympathy the most often attract it the least. F. H. Bradley

Labor should be recognized as entitled to consult with management in the mutual interest. Labor cannot be driven, and business cannot be successful unless the men employed in it are enthusiastic and loyal. That loyalty cannot be obtained with a big stick; it must be based upon fair dealing and sympathy. Charles M. Schwab

Grieve and mourn for yourself not once or twice, but again and again. Morrie Schwartz

There's no greater way to gain an audience's sympathy than by being unfortunate. Seth Green

I'm not looking for sympathy at all. Arnold Schwarzenegger

Fess up, 'Hunger Games' fans: Does anyone care about Peeta or find him attractive? He's the Ron Weasley of the series: he gets points for callow valor and sympathy for his run of bad luck, but he remains a pasty, earnest bore. Richard Corliss

There is something terribly morbid in the modern sympathy with pain. One should sympathise with the colour, the beauty, the joy of life. The less said about life's sores the better. Oscar Wilde

My impressions of the Russian Revolution can be divided into two periods. The first period was when I showed deep sympathy. My second period is one of disappointment. This change was the result of close observation on the spot. Chiang Kai-shek

Reasoned arguments and suggestions which make allowance for the full difficulties of the state of war that exists may help, and will always be listened to with respect and sympathy. Stafford Cripps

One might expect that the families of murder victims would be showered with sympathy and support, embraced by their communities. But in reality they are far more likely to feel isolated, fearful, and ashamed, overwhelmed by grief and guilt, angry at the criminal-justice system, and shunned by their old friends. Eric Schlosser

In 1800, in the first interparty contest, the Federalists warned that presidential candidate Thomas Jefferson, because of his sympathy expressed at the outset of the French Revolution, was 'the son of a half-breed Indian squaw' who would put opponents under the guillotine. Robert Dallek

Sympathy is two hearts tugging at one load. Charles Henry Parkhurst

The loss of a friend is like that of a limb; time may heal the anguish of the wound, but the loss cannot be repaired. Robert Southey

I was brought up to be sympathetic toward others. Joyce Carol Oates

What is the meaning of 'gossip?' Doesn't it originate with sympathy, an interest in one's neighbor, degenerating into idle curiosity and love of tattling? Which is worse, this habit, or keeping one's self so absorbed intellectually as to forget the sufferings and cares of others, to lose sympathy through having too much to think about? Lucy Larcom

No one has yet realized the wealth of sympathy, the kindness and generosity hidden in the soul of a child. The effort of every true education should be to unlock that treasure. Emma Goldman

I have several close friends who are insomniacs. Over the years, I've heard their stories about being up in the middle of the night, completely awake. I see them yawn at 11 A.M. and know that, regardless of what they are doing, they'd probably rather be in bed sleeping. I've always had sympathy for them, but I've never really understood it. Brad Feld

I have great sympathy for people that are infertile, but a life is not something you can give away. Mary Beth Whitehead

Our late Leader, Dr. Sun Yat-sen, with his universal sympathy for all oppressed and his profound understanding of Jesus' revolutionary spirit of love and sacrifice, carried on his revolutionary work for forty years and brought about at last the liberation of the Chinese people. Chiang Kai-shek

I have always thought it a great privilege to have as my colleague in the Palit Chair of Chemistry such a distinguished pioneer in scientific research and education in Bengal as Sir Prafulla Ray. It has been invariably my experience that I could count on his cooperation and sympathy in every matter concerning my scientific work. C. V. Raman

If you suppress grief too much, it can well redouble. Moliere

Sometimes, in the midst of a tragedy like the Newton massacre, we witness incredible acts of valor, tenderness, grace, and decency. We saw it from Sandy Hook Elementary School's teachers, students, and parents, as well as from their community and country. The outpouring of sympathy and help has been touching and, at times, inspiring. Campbell Brown

I've always thought of acting as more of an exercise in empathy, which is not to be confused with sympathy. You're trying to get inside a certain emotional reality or motivational reality and try to figure out what that's about so you can represent it. Edward Norton

I have sometimes been wildly, despairingly, acutely miserable, racked with sorrow, but through it all I still know quite certainly that just to be alive is a grand thing. Agatha Christie

I believe that everyone can appreciate the right of a family to grieve the loss of a loved one in peace, regardless of anyone's position on the war in Iraq and Afghanistan. Dave Reichert

Like many people, most Libertarians feel empathy and sympathy for less fortunate people. But they know you can't have perfection in a world of limited resources. Harry Browne

The more sympathy you give, the less you need. Malcolm Forbes

I am really drawn to damaged characters, and I have a lot of sympathy for them. Making those complicated characters empathetic is something to strive for. It's too easy to create a good guy or a good girl. Paul Haggis

In externals we advance with lightening express speed, in modes of thought and sympathy we lumber on in stage-coach fashion. Frances E. Willard

The Nazi movement is in many respects one which has my warmest sympathy. George Bernard Shaw

The American people want something terse, forcible, picturesque, striking - something that will arrest their attention, enlist their sympathy, arouse their indignation, stimulate their imagination, convince their reason, awaken their conscience. Joseph Pulitzer

The Who on record were dynamic. Roger Daltrey's delivery allowed vulnerability without weakness; doubt and confusion, but no plea for sympathy. Eddie Vedder

Grief can't be shared. Everyone carries it alone. His own burden in his own way. Anne Morrow Lindbergh

I learnt pity, sympathy, and what it was like to be at the other end of the stick. Such lessons can't be learnt in lecture halls. Lionel Blue

A sympathetic friend can be quite as dear as a brother. Homer

Children require guidance and sympathy far more than instruction. Anne Sullivan

Sorrow is a fruit. God does not make it grow on limbs too weak to bear it. Victor Hugo

You have to have sympathy for and an empathy with a character in order to play them. Laura Carmichael

Grief knits two hearts in closer bonds than happiness ever can; and common sufferings are far stronger links than common joys. Alphonse de Lamartine

Many of the artists who have represented Negro life have seen only the comic, ludicrous side of it, and have lacked sympathy with and appreciation for the warm big heart that dwells within such a rough exterior. Henry Ossawa Tanner

Sympathy constitutes friendship; but in love there is a sort of antipathy, or opposing passion. Each strives to be the other, and both together make up one whole. Samuel Taylor Coleridge

You have to take strength from the people that love you and the people that love Barbara and the huge number of expressions of sympathy and compassion and support. That has been extremely moving. Ted Olson

Unfair discrimination exists whether we like it or not; I wouldn't have married a gum-chewing vegetarian. Ultimately, we'll help the people we discriminate against if we try to understand more about them; genetics will lead to a world where there is a sympathy for the underdog. John Kendrew

Recognition of belligerency as an expression of sympathy is all very well. Henry Cabot Lodge

I am convinced that, despite what you think of Obama, I don't think Obama has a person-to-person connection with people. I think people love him because of his race and feel sorry for him, object of sympathy. I think people feel he's a victim, he portrays himself as a victim of America; he gets sympathy that way. Rush Limbaugh

Ultimately, knowing God and reading the Word, it helps with patience with people, understanding, empathy and sympathy that they might not have that I have. If God gave it to me, why not exercise it? Trai Byers

Remember me with smiles and laughter, for that is how I will remember you all. If you can only remember me with tears, then don't remember me at all. Laura Ingalls Wilder

We Germans have a special responsibility to be alert, sensitive, and aware of what we did during the Nazi era and about lasting damage caused in other countries. I've got tremendous sympathy for that. Angela Merkel

I've never wanted sympathy votes in anything I do in my life. Amy Purdy

Teetotallers lack the sympathy and generosity of men that drink. W. H. Davies

Excessive sorrow laughs. Excessive joy weeps. William Blake

Almost all of our sorrows spring out of our relations with other people. Arthur Schopenhauer

This sympathy is not translated into force against the British government because it is not like the anti- apartheid movement which had a high profile here and Mandela is a more engaging figure than Yasser Arafat. Tom Paulin

California must be all American or all Chinese. We are resolved that it shall be American, and are prepared to make it so. May we not rely upon your sympathy and assistance? Denis Kearney

When you're successful, people have no sympathy. Nobody wants to catch the tears of a millionaire. Boy George

Autumn wins you best by this its mute appeal to sympathy for its decay. Robert Browning

Most of my younger Native American friends are not in any way looking for sympathy, and they're not looking to lay guilt on anybody. They have their dignity, and they do what they do. Robbie Robertson

Manhattan's probably one of the bluest parts in the country, and Indiana's definitely one of the redder states. I have sympathy for both sides. Jim Gaffigan

If men and women are to understand each other, to enter into each other's nature with mutual sympathy, and to become capable of genuine comradeship, the foundation must be laid in youth. Havelock Ellis

A sorrow's crown of sorrow is remembering happier times. Alfred Lord Tennyson

More negatives write than call. It's a cheap shot for me to go on the air with the critical letters or E-mail I get because the reaction of the listeners is always an instantaneous expression of sympathy for me and contempt for the poor critic. John Hall

I have a theory because I was being beaten up a lot by people outside of school, it was almost like if I could make myself sick enough they'd take sympathy on me. Daniel Johns

It's sad when someone you know becomes someone you knew. Henry Rollins

The comic novels I did when I was in my 20s had a harder edge - less sympathy for people. Or a sympathy that was harder to detect: Characters' foibles and obsessive bents were unrelenting, like caricatures. Lydia Millet

The knowledge that we have brother scouts working in the same uniform, to the same ends, in the same way, in all corners of the Empire, cannot but make scouts proud of their brotherhood, and cannot fail to bring them into closer sympathy. Robert Baden-Powell

Grief changes shape, but it never ends. Keanu Reeves

Our trials, our sorrows, and our grieves develop us. Orison Swett Marden

Deliberately seek opportunities for kindness, sympathy, and patience. Evelyn Underhill

I never ask for mercy and seek no one's sympathy. Conrad Black

I don't want to be entertained. I don't want visuals or musicals. I don't want a vacation. I don't want to quit. I don't want sympathy. The cry of my heart is 'Just Give Me Jesus.' Anne Graham Lotz

Tears are the silent language of grief. Voltaire

Pierre Curie came to see me and showed a simple and sincere sympathy with my student life. Soon he caught the habit of speaking to me of his dream of an existence consecrated entirely to scientific research, and he asked me to share that life. Marie Curie

I will indulge my sorrows, and give way to all the pangs and fury of despair. Joseph Addison

Barton Fink is just too self-important as an artist to get much sympathy. Ethan Coen

Death is not the greatest loss in life. The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live. Norman Cousins

I have embraced crying mothers who have lost their children because our politicians put their personal agendas before the national good. I have no patience for injustice, no tolerance for government incompetence, no sympathy for leaders who fail their citizens. Donald Trump

Character is made of duty and love and sympathy, and, above all, of living and working for others. Robert Green Ingersoll

Sympathy for victims is always counter-balanced by an equal and opposite feeling of resentment towards them. Ben Elton

It's a game that just takes so much out of you. Every aspect of your life has to be very narrow, very focused. Everything else has to go away. And because of that, I think it's obviously not healthy. The last thing I'm looking for is sympathy. Alex Rodriguez

It appears to be a law that you cannot have a deep sympathy with both man and nature. Henry David Thoreau

Children, even infants, are capable of sympathy. But only after adolescence are we capable of compassion. Louise J. Kaplan

I am not interested in picking up crumbs of compassion thrown from the table of someone who considers himself my master. I want the full menu of rights. Desmond Tutu

If the terrorists have the sympathy of people, it's much harder to find them. So we need people on our side, and that leads us to be responsible leaders of the world, show some concern with the problems. George Soros

We're so much more likely to feel sympathy for an animal than another person; thus, the best fiction uses animals to define truly humane behavior. Chuck Palahniuk

Sympathy is something that shouldn't be bestowed upon the Yankees. Apparently it angers them. Bob Feller

Learning a foreign language, and the culture that goes with it, is one of the most useful things we can do to broaden the empathy and imaginative sympathy and cultural outlook of children. Michael Gove

The dew of compassion is a tear. Lord Byron

Sonia Gandhi and her husband have always been persons I look at with a lot of respect. Of course, one of the reasons we look at India with a lot of sympathy and enthusiasm is Sonia Gandhi. Now she is Indian, not Italian, but she will always represent a myth for Italians. Luca Cordero di Montezemolo

I joined the Party definitely in 1923 after having already been in sympathy with it before. Fritz Sauckel

Only by joy and sorrow does a person know anything about themselves and their destiny. They learn what to do and what to avoid. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

No matter how prepared you think you are for the death of a loved one, it still comes as a shock, and it still hurts very deeply. Billy Graham

The late Tom Wicker's biography of Nixon, called 'One of Us,' is really quite good: you see the biographer discovering dimensions of sympathy for his subject that he hadn't expected to feel. Thomas Mallon

There's a certain amount of sympathy here for the Bush administration's problem, which is they would like to get rid of Saddam Hussein and they would like to have the Kurds autonomous. Les Aspin

Grief is the price we pay for love. Queen Elizabeth II

I have a great deal of sympathy for reluctant readers because I was one. I would do anything to avoid reading. In my case, it wasn't until I was 13 and discovered the 'Lord of the Rings' that I learned to love reading. Rick Riordan

The heart forgets its sorrow and ache. James Russell Lowell

There is no pain so great as the memory of joy in present grief. Aeschylus

AI don't make a big thing out of my race. If you try to preach, people give you a little sympathy and then they want to get out of the way. So you don't preach; you tell the story. Jim Brown

Any mind that is capable of real sorrow is capable of good. Harriet Beecher Stowe

Unable are the loved to die, for love is immortality. Emily Dickinson

I like the Rolling Stones for karaoke. 'Sympathy For The Devil' is a great one. Hugh Jackman

Two nations between whom there is no intercourse and no sympathy; who are as ignorant of each other's habits, thoughts, and feelings, as if they were dwellers in different zones, or inhabitants of different planets. The rich and the poor. Benjamin Disraeli

One's life has value so long as one attributes value to the life of others, by means of love, friendship, indignation and compassion. Simone de Beauvoir

I think we lost a great deal of sympathy and support with the way in which the crisis was handled, most importantly I think when we appeared to be grasping for too much at one time instead of identifying our priorities in a much more responsible fashion. Billy Tauzin

The natural effect of sorrow over the dead is to refine and elevate the mind. Washington Irving

I have a lot of sympathy for young people because I realize how disturbed I was. How would I deal with life in the future? What would I do for a living? Clyde Tombaugh

Worry does not empty tomorrow of its sorrow. It empties today of its strength. Corrie Ten Boom

I am the son of a small and far-away nation and the other laureates have all come from different countries from all over the world and we all were equally received here with signs of sympathy. Albert Szent-Gyorgyi

I don't really distinguish between sympathy and honesty when I'm writing. The two go together - I'm interested in inhabiting my characters, seeing the world through their eyes. Tom Perrotta

I have to express sympathy from the bottom of my heart to those people who were taken as wartime comfort women. As a human being, I would like to express my sympathies, and also as prime minister of Japan I need to apologize to them. Shinzo Abe

When we are out of sympathy with the young, then I think our work in this world is over. George MacDonald

Interest does not tie nations together; it sometimes separates them. But sympathy and understanding does unite them. Woodrow Wilson

In any business, the more you learn, the more sympathetic you can be to other people's positions. Peter Asher

Women ought to feel a peculiar sympathy in the colored man's wrong, for, like him, she has been accused of mental inferiority, and denied the privileges of a liberal education. Angelina Grimke

As Christians, our compassion is simply a response to the love that God has already shown us. Steven Curtis Chapman

Having a baby is a disaster for your career. I don't think there's any sympathy. Mariella Frostrup

True Scouts are the best friends of animals, for from living in the woods and wilds, and practising observation and tracking, they get to know more than other people about the ways and habits of birds and animals, and therefore they understand them and are more in sympathy with them. Robert Baden-Powell

It is in our faults and failings, not in our virtues, that we touch each other, and find sympathy. It is in our follies that we are one. Jerome K. Jerome

One often calms one's grief by recounting it. Pierre Corneille

It's no good being nice and young and naive. There's no good in that at all. You've got to do it all yourself, and you've gotta learn quick. And you can't look for sympathy either. John Lydon

Abstract sympathy with the working class as an economic entity is easy, but the feeling can vanish on contact with actual members of the group, who often arrive with disturbing beliefs and powerful resentments - who might not sound or look like people urban progressives want to know. George Packer

As human beings, we all have reasons for our behavior. There may be people who have certain physiological issues that dictate why they make certain choices. On the whole, though, I think we're dictated by our structure, our past, our environment, our culture. So once you understand the patterns that shape a person, how can you not find sympathy? Forest Whitaker

If our hearts are ready for anything, we can open to our inevitable losses, and to the depths of our sorrow. We can grieve our lost loves, our lost youth, our lost health, our lost capacities. This is part of our humanness, part of the expression of our love for life. Tara Brach

Excess of grief for the dead is madness; for it is an injury to the living, and the dead know it not. Xenophon

A creative element is surely present in all great systems, and it does not seem possible that all sympathy or fundamental attitudes of will can be entirely eliminated from any human philosophy. Morris Raphael Cohen

There are times when a sports figure doesn't deserve sympathy. Stephen Rodrick

We all have to announce our full solidarity with the struggle of those seeking freedom and justice in Syria, and translate this sympathy into a clear political vision that supports a peaceful transition to a democratic system of rule that reflects the demands of the Syrian people for freedom. Mohammed Morsi

I believe that we must reach our brother, never toning down our fundamental oppositions, but meeting him when he asks to be met, with a reason for the faith that is in us, as well as with a loving sympathy for them as brothers. Dorothy Day

Men we shall have only as we make manhood the object of the work of the schools - intelligence, broad sympathy, knowledge of the world that was and is, and of the relation of men to it - this is the curriculum of that Higher Education which must underlie true life. W. E. B. Du Bois

Any relations in a social order will endure, if there is infused into them some of that spirit of human sympathy which qualifies life for immortality. George William Russell

I say to people who care for people who are dying, if you really love that person and want to help them, be with them when their end comes close. Sit with them - you don't even have to talk. You don't have to do anything but really be there with them. Elisabeth Kubler-Ross

Sympathy is charming, but it does not make up for pain. Lillie Langtry

September 11th was a moment when America had the sympathy of the world. Tom Ford

Flowers grow out of dark moments. Corita Kent

Let no one weep for me, or celebrate my funeral with mourning; for I still live, as I pass to and fro through the mouths of men. Quintus Ennius

I'm in total sympathy with Dick Smith's sentiments; I only wish there were grounds for saying we Australians would never tolerate such appalling treatment of refugees being carried out in our name. Hugh Mackay

Whether rich people make money or lose money, they get no sympathy from the public. Gary Ackerman

My upbringing has given me sympathy for the idea of isolation and what it is to be a new person in the room, where everyone else has some amount of familiarity and comfort. Julianne Moore

In documentary filmmaking, there's a tradition of telling stories about victims. We often do that from a very patronizing place, but mostly we do it from a very selfish place, to reassure ourselves that our lives are in sympathy and solidarity with the victims. Joshua Oppenheimer

Those who peacefully gather to express sympathy for the family of Michael Brown must have their rights respected at all times. And journalists must not be harassed or prevented from covering a story that needs to be told. Eric Holder

Developing our sympathetic compassion is not only possible but the only reason for us to be here on earth. George Saunders

There is no grief like the grief that does not speak. Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

I damaged my health during 'Les Mis,' which I didn't want to mention in case it seemed like I was courting sympathy. Anne Hathaway

The community stagnates without the impulse of the individual. The impulse dies away without the sympathy of the community. William James

I have every sympathy for writers. It's a mystery to me what they do. I can edit. I can cross out and say, 'I'm not saying that' or, 'How about we move this to here? Wouldn't that make that bit of the story better?' But where any of it comes from is beyond me. I will never write a play or a novel. Alan Rickman

The easiest way for readers to connect with characters and feel sympathy is to make the character entertaining, sympathetic and likeable. Randa Abdel-Fattah

If you want to devote yourself to the arts, you'd better do it strictly from passion, because there is zero guarantee that you'll get anywhere. The hardest thing is dealing with business people who have nothing to do with your art. They could care less that you're up at 4:30 in the morning writing a joke. Don't expect any sympathy from anybody. Richard Lewis

This is not a country that has had a tremendous sympathy for poor people, so I think that the notion that somehow we have slipped into an era in which poor people don't matter is not quite the way our history would define it. Faye Wattleton

I grew up an Orthodox Jew, and now I'm not an Orthodox Jew. So I have sympathy for people who lose their faith. Naomi Alderman

Here bring your wounded hearts, here tell your anguish; Earth has no sorrow that Heaven cannot heal. Thomas Moore

When sorrows come, they come not single spies, but in battalions. William Shakespeare

I didn't feel any remorse or sympathy if I injured a rival. I went over the top a few times but I never broke anyone's leg. Peter Storey

The only cure for grief is action. George Henry Lewes

The worst nickname I ever had was Tim Pig-ears-Smith. I had big ears. When I was younger, it was more pronounced. So I felt huge sympathy towards Prince Charles over that. Tim Pigott-Smith

In the early days of the Russian Revolution in 1917, I was completely in sympathy with it. I felt that it established a new era in the history of the modern world. I was so overwhelmed by it that, if people made any unfriendly comment, I would vigorously defend it. If people condemned the Communist party, I would speak in its defense. Chiang Kai-shek

All art is an intensely vulnerable gesture, and it is made with no small amounts of risk, and fear. So, I have plenty of sympathy for self-defense mechanisms, especially among artists. Steven Erikson

Something that's seldom appreciated about me is that I am in sympathy with a great deal of what Marx wrote, except that I'm on the side of the bourgeoisie. Niall Ferguson

Any sympathy won for Aileen Wuornos based on a lie is not sympathy at all. The question is, can we have sympathy for the circumstances of someone's life? That's what I was interested in. Patty Jenkins

To desire and expect nothing for oneself and to have profound sympathy for others is genuine holiness. Ivan Turgenev

Sorrow can be alleviated by good sleep, a bath and a glass of wine. Thomas Aquinas

The true humanist maintains a just balance between sympathy and selection. Irving Babbitt

All sympathy not consistent with acknowledged virtue is but disguised selfishness. Samuel Taylor Coleridge

Too often, we get attention and sympathy by being a victim. If we're invested in someone being our villain, we must love being the victim. We have to let go of both characters in the story. Regina Brett

It is a great consolation for me to remember that the Lord, to whom I had drawn near in humble and child-like faith, has suffered and died for me, and that He will look on me in love and compassion. Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart

I spent three and a half years writing the novel 'Chang & Eng,' about the conjoined brothers for whom the term 'Siamese twins' was contrived, and when I think of these afflicted people, my only emotion is one of profound sympathy. Darin Strauss

After you have wept and grieved for your physical losses, cherish the functions and the life you have left. Morrie Schwartz

If we wait until our lives are free from sorrow or difficulty, then we wait forever. And miss the entire point. Dirk Benedict

If there was less sympathy in the world, there would be less trouble in the world. Oscar Wilde

What is it that distinguishes you and me from the lower animals - from the beasts? More, I say, than anything else, human sympathy - human sympathy. Robert Green Ingersoll

From the end spring new beginnings. Pliny the Elder

I don't think it's an incredibly radical premise to try and have sympathy for someone who has made a mistake. Joe Cornish

I have the greatest sympathy with the growth of the socialist party. I think they understand the evils that surround us and hammer them into people's minds better than we Liberals. Charles Trevelyan

The rule of friendship means there should be mutual sympathy between them, each supplying what the other lacks and trying to benefit the other, always using friendly and sincere words. Marcus Tullius Cicero

Kindliness and sympathy, fellowship and understanding, are always good, but best when they come from a distant corner of the world. Archibald Hill

When you lose a person you love so much, surviving the loss is difficult. Cristiano Ronaldo

Okay, so, sometimes in life, I can be a score-keeper - someone who keeps track of what he gives and what he gets in return. An annoying quality, to say the least, and I'm sure my wife has your sympathy, but it's made me highly attuned to when and where credit is due. Mark Feuerstein

Because I select my players from a feeling that comes to me when I am with them, a certain sympathy you might call it, or a vibration that exists between us that convinces me they are right. Erich von Stroheim

Both tears and sweat are salty, but they render a different result. Tears will get you sympathy; sweat will get you change. Jesse Jackson

I have nothing but sympathy for the people who are forced to work with me. I'm better now at picking out those that want to play that game with me, and those that don't. Alton Brown

Come away, O human child: To the waters and the wild with a fairy, hand in hand, For the world's more full of weeping than you can understand. William Butler Yeats

I felt bad when George Bush was booed. But only briefly. My sympathy for that man has a half-life of about four seconds. Dick Cavett

What does love look like? It has the hands to help others. It has the feet to hasten to the poor and needy. It has eyes to see misery and want. It has the ears to hear the sighs and sorrows of men. That is what love looks like. Saint Augustine

A crowd always thinks with its sympathy, never with its reason. William R. Alger

I'm completely indifferent to what genre I read provided that I feel sympathy with how a writer perceives being alive in the world. Thomas Ligotti

Here's my rule: You always want to pay cash for your own books, because if they look at the name on the credit card and then they look at the name on the book jacket, then there's this look of such profound sympathy for you that you had to resort to this. It really is withering. Carl Hiaasen

When men are arrested without any legal basis and for political reasons, it's merely a routine, everyday occurrence in Russia, and hardly anyone has any sympathy. Alexei Navalny

I belong to a nation which over the past centuries has experienced many hardships and reverses. The world reacted with silence or with mere sympathy when Polish frontiers were crossed by invading armies and the sovereign state had to succumb to brutal force. Lech Walesa

Captain Hale, alone, without sympathy or support, save that from above, on the near approach of death asked for a clergyman to attend him. It was refused. He then requested a Bible; that too was refused by his inhuman jailer. William Hull

The novelist must look on humanity without partiality or prejudice. His sympathy, like that of the historian, must be unbounded, and untainted by sect or party. Goldwin Smith

There's something very beautiful and compelling about someone who has ambition and someone who knows what they want, but it can get a little frustrating at times, so I understand that. I have sympathy for that. Michael Ealy

AIDS had won gays sympathy; they no longer seemed the privileged brats that the general populace had resented in the 1970s. Edmund White

A person who has sympathy for mankind in the lump, faith in its future progress, and desire to serve the great cause of this progress, should be called not a humanist, but a humanitarian, and his creed may be designated as humanitarianism. Irving Babbitt

As a Scot, I instinctively feel a sympathy towards a culture which is based on generosity. It's very refreshing. Afghans think they're the best people in the world and their country is the best place in the world, and it's strange because you go there and it doesn't really look like it, and yet they assume that everybody else envies them. Rory Stewart

Despite my excellent mood, I don't have any sympathy for Romney. If he'd been a good candidate he wouldn't have had a different campaign for every month on the calendar. Gail Collins

As with the onset of sudden celebrity, for the newly rich, the world often becomes a darker, narrower, less generous place; a paradox that elicits scant sympathy, but is nonetheless true. Felix Dennis

You will find that the woman who is really kind to dogs is always one who has failed to inspire sympathy in men. Max Beerbohm

We do not learn by inference and deduction and the application of mathematics to philosophy, but by direct intercourse and sympathy. Richard M. Nixon

Justice must be done in investigating the tragic death of Mr. Freddie Gray. His family deserves our deepest sympathy and respect for their loss, and our admiration for their courage in calling us, as a city, to act as our better selves. Martin O'Malley

You develop a sympathy for all human beings when you travel a lot. Shakuntala Devi